How does one tell that a certain adult may have ADHD? Do you just conclude that a hyperactive adult has ADHD? Remember, we have high-energy people who like pacing about as they talk, people who think on their feet. Not every person who displays these tendencies has ADHD.
The ADHD symptoms must have interfered with at least two spheres of their life over the last six months. The spheres of life being school, work, relationships, or even home life.
General Signs and Symptoms of ADHD in Adults
Regardless of the ADHD type, you may be suffering from, there are general symptoms that you should consider looking out for if you would like to establish whether you or someone you know may be suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder.
Inability to concentrate and stay focused
Adults who have ADHD may find it very hard to engage in the mundane tasks of every day because they tend to have very short concentration spans and get easily distracted. The adult with difficulties in concentration will tend to:
- Zone out unknowingly, even when you were right in the middle of a conversation with them
- Be easy to distract; their attention will always seem to wander about.
- Be unable to pay attention or focus on one thing, even something simple.
- Struggle to complete even the simplest of tasks because they will either become bored very fast or stop what they were doing and start indulging in something else.
Appearing to be a contrast to the first-mentioned symptoms, adults with ADHD may find it hard to focus on normal tasks. Still, you will also realize that when it comes to certain tasks that interest them they will tend to become very absorbed in that particular thing, almost as if they are in their little world. This is what it refers to as hyperactive focus. Hyperactive focus is their way of coping with distraction because it helps them tune out the chaos around them. The hyperactive focus may be so intense that they would be completely oblivious of anything happening around them and that can be very dangerous for not just the adult with ADHD, but also those around him or her.
Forgetfulness and disorganization
For an adult who has ADD/ADHD, life may appear to be very chaotic and out of control. Many victims suffering from this disorder find it very hard to juggle all the aspects of life, especially the aspects of an adult’s life. Perhaps this is why research has revealed that many adults who have Attention Deficit Disorder tend to abuse drugs and other substances. It is probably a way of helping them tune out all the mess around them. The organization is a big challenge to an adult with ADHD and they will tend to display certain symptoms such as:
- Very poor organization skills, such that the spaces they occupy (work office, desk, home, car, etc.) are all cluttered and messy.
- Being unable to start and finish projects or tasks
- Being late all the time
- Always forgetting commitments, appointments, or even deadlines
- Often misplacing or losing things such as car keys, phone, wallet, etc.
- Underestimating the time, it would take them to complete tasks such that they never seem to have anything done in time.
Acting on impulse is one major problem for adults with ADHD. They can be incapable of inhibiting their comments, behavior, and even responses. This goes hand in hand with impatience and adults with ADD will tend to rush into a task before reading the instructions or even blurting things without considering the consequences.
If you want to know if you or someone you know has a problem with impulse control, here are a couple of likely symptoms:
- Certain addictive tendencies
- Often interrupting other people while they are speaking or even tending to talk over them
- Poor self-control even in the most trivial matters
- Blundering rude remarks or inappropriate comments given any thought
- Spontaneous or reckless actions taken without thinking of the consequences
- Great inability to behave in socially acceptable ways. For instance, the inability to sit still.
ADHD has a way of making it impossible for those suffering from it to control their feelings and emotions. This is especially true for anger and irritability. Adults with ADHD suffer a lot of emotional distress such as:
- Constantly having a sense of underachievement
- Having trouble staying motivated
- Being hypersensitive to criticism
- Having a short explosive temper
Restlessness or hyperactivity
Although adults with ADHD may display the same level of hyperactivity as kids suffering from it do, this is not a very common scenario. The hyperactive tendencies will fade away as one grows older. Still, adults who have issues with hyperactivity generally display some or all of the following symptoms.
Sometimes, some adults discover that they have ADHD only after their children have been diagnosed with the same. This is the time they find out they had the condition but never realize it. ADHD is highly heritable. So if a child is diagnosed with it, it is very likely that one or both parents have it.
Adults with Inattentive-Type ADHD (ADHD-I)
- Tend to avoid tasks that will require their concentration
- Are procrastinators
- Have difficulty in starting a project or task
- Have problems diverting their concentration from one task to another
- Cannot persevere through a task to completion
- Are indecisive and doubtful of themselves
Adult with Hyperactive-Type ADHD (ADHD-H)
- Will always go for the jobs that are highly stimulating and active
- Are impatient
- Get bored easily
- Avoid situations of desk-bound work
- May often choose to work very long hours or even have two jobs
- Constantly seek some form of activity
- Are impulsive and have irresponsible tendencies
- Are easily irritable and intolerant
- Get angry quickly
- Are prone to hyper-focus
Symptoms – Differences Between Child, Teen and Adult ADHD
ADHD or attention -shortfall hyperactivity disorder is a typical childhood disorder even though young people and adults can have the disorder too. Attention-shortage disorder symptoms are essentially hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention. The degree and the appearance of these symptoms, nevertheless, vary as indicated by the age bunch.
Symptoms of attention shortage disorder in children essentially include continually losing things, running, and bouncing around constantly, seeming not to hear what you just started, and continually wriggling and squirming. Trouble in sitting tight for their turn and exclaiming answers before their turn is likewise normal for ADHD in children. In youngsters, attention-shortfall disorder symptoms are fundamentally the same as with children.
Frequently, others mark youngsters with ADHD wrongly because they are misjudged. Along these lines, adolescents regularly wind up staying away from school totally and now and again, they can even be sexually unbridled or have brushes with the law.
Adult ADHD is vastly different about the signs of attention-deficiency disorder symptoms. While children with ADHD wriggle and squirm, adults with ADHD frequently feel eager and they are clumsier and more disordered.
With adults, the fundamental issue is the powerlessness to do well at work given the symptoms that meddle with it. As a rule, adults with ADHD neglect to pay their bills, experience difficulty recalling vital dates, and can be continually late in appearing for work.
Diagnosing ADHD in adults is a great deal more troublesome because of the suspicion that it even exists in any case. Likewise, hyperactivity decreases with age so that piece of the criteria is difficult to decide.
Even though attention-shortage disorder symptoms may contrast as indicated by age gathering, ADHD treatment is fundamentally the same, paying little respect to whether you are a child, young person, or adult.
Portions of the mainstream treatment choices for ADHD are doctors prescribed pharmaceutical, psychotherapy, and common cures, similar to homeopathy. These can be utilized as a part of conjunction with each other to help build control of ADHD symptoms.
If the prospect of taking professionally prescribed pharmaceutical scares you because of the possibly unsafe symptoms, dietary changes, yoga, biofeedback preparation, vitamin supplementation, homegrown drug, and homeopathic cures are among the better choices you can look over.
Common cures are a superior treatment choice due to the absence of symptoms and there is no danger of habit and manhandle. You can likewise utilize characteristic cures without an official ADHD conclusion with no evil impacts.
Attention-shortage disorder symptoms are no giggling matter and ought to be treated appropriately to avert impedance with ordinary working. Settle on brilliant decisions by getting educated on what you can do to treat ADHD a sound and safe way.